Soup—the perfect antidote for a chilly February night. Even better, this can be whipped up quickly. Serve with a fruit salad and some crusty bread and you’re sure to wow your family.
Tortellini and Meatball Soup
Katharine DePreter Bedenko (formerly of Lake Forest) of Naples, FL
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 (14 ½ oz.) cans beef or chicken broth
- 1 package of frozen Italian meatballs
- 2 (8 oz.) fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 (10 oz.) fresh or frozen bags spinach, thawed if frozen
- 2 (16 oz.) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- Grated parmesan cheese to garnish
Sautee garlic in oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrots, mushrooms and onion. Add broth and meatballs. Bring to boil. Add pasta. Return to boil and reduce to simmer. Cook 10 minutes. Add spinach and tomatoes with their liquids. Simmer 5 minutes. Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
—Ann Marie Scheidler