20 July 2011
10 Favorite Wines
Ever wonder what type of wine your friend is drinking? We asked the experts at Courtyard Wines in Lake Forest to tell us the top 10 wines the locals are buying.
- 2005 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($67.99)
Good deep red-ruby in color with dark berries, black cherry, and licorice on the nose. Not particularly sweet.
- 2007 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon, Special Selection ($119.99)
Exhibits an inky blue-purple color in addition to sweet aromas of cassis, graphite, licorice, tobacco leaf, and toasty oak.
- 2007 Stag’s Leap Artemis Cabernet Blend ($42.99)
Not an estate wine, but a regional Napa blend, includes a small amount of Petit Verdot and Merlot. Dark plum/ruby in color with notes of Chinese black tea, licorice, herbs, mocha, and black currants.
- 2005 Jordan Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($57.99)
Deep red in color with red and black currant flavors, cherry, and menthol on the nose, with subtle vanilla, cola, and tobacco notes adding complexity.
- 2008 Mer Soleil Santa Lucia Highlands Chardonnay ($33.99)
A citrus-driven wine with hints of matchstick, pineapple, banana, and coconut. Oak is apparent, but not defining.
- 2009 Rombauer Carneros Chardonnay ($32.99)
A full-bodied wine with rich and vibrant tropical fruit flavors blend with toasty oak notes. Peach, pear, and a touch of pineapple integrate with creamy vanilla.
- 2009 Cakebread Napa Sauvignon Blanc ($28.99)
Displays bright, sun-kissed aromas of fresh guava, grapefruit, lime, and mineral, with hints of honeydew melon and golden apple.
- 2007 Etude Carneros Pinot Noir ($41.99)
A medium red wine with restrained, musky aromas of strawberry, spices, and underbrush.
- 2007 Shafer Napa Valley Merlot ($44.99)
Combines the elegance and classicism of the Stag’s Leap viticultural region with the rich berry and chocolaty fruit of Napa Valley.
- 2008 Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara Pinot Noir ($19.99)
A light, bright red wine with high-pitched aromas of sweet red berries, rose, and spicecake.
—David Bush of Courtyard Wines